The Bearn regiment, 2 battalions

Origins of the regiment de Bearn

The regiment de Béarn was established on 3 September 1684 and had nothing to do with the regiment known as Bearn after 1762. (That's why this relatively new regiment has a separate page here.) Its nucleus was the Garanné battalion of the Picardie regiment. It first commander was Henry Charles de Mornay marquis de Montchevreuil.

The regiment de Béarn in the Nine Years War

In the Nine years war the Bearn regiment started with the conquest of the Pfalz in 1688, where it lost its colonel in the conquest of Mannheim. De Mornay was succeeded by his brother Léonor comte de Mornay on 25 November 1688. In turn he was succeeded by François Bouton chevalier de Chamilly on 16 November 1689. In 1690 the Bearn regiment went to Flanders. Here it fought in the Battle of Fleurus. In 1691 it went to the Rhine and in 1692 to Italy. Here it fought in the battle of Marsiglia. In 1694 and 1695 the regiment stayed in the Alps and in 1696 and 1697 it was on the Rhine.

The regiment de Bearn in the War of the Spanish Succession

In the War of the Spanish Succession the Bearn regiment started on the Rhine. In October 1702 Villars mentioned how its lieutenant-colonel Jorau had distingished himself in the surprise conquest of Neubourg with his grenadiers2. In November 1702 the Chevalier de Chamilly brigadier and colonel of the regiment de Béarn died of wounds received in the battle of Friedlingen. He was succeeded by Jean Baptiste de Rochechouart Comte de Maure, a younger brother of the Duc de Mortemart3.

In 1703 the Bearn regiment went to Bavaria. On 27 January 1704 Paul Auguste Gaston de la Rochefoucauld comte de Montendre et de Jarnac became colonel. In the Battle of the Schellenberg the Bearn was one of the few French regiments present4 had its lieutenant-colonel was killed. In the Battle of Blenheim the Bearn regiment was in Marsin's part of the army and so it escaped relatively unharmed.

In 1705 the Bearn was on the Moselle and in 1706 it was on the Rhine. In 1707 the Bearn was in the uneventful Flanders campaign. The next year started with the expedition to Scotland and was followed by the Battle of Oudenaarde. In 1709 the Battle of Malplaquet followed.

In 1711 it was in the Battle of Denain and in 1712 in the conquest of Douai and Le Quesnoy. On 22 December 1714 the regiment was given to Jean de Layser marquis de Siougeat. On 25 November 1762 the Bearn regiment was dismissed. The title Bearn was later taken by the regiment that was named Leuville during the war of the Spanish Succession5.

Flag of the regiment de Béarn

The flag of the regiment de Béarn had in each of its quarters 5 perpendicular to the pole. Two were red and three were yellow-brown.


1) Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, vol. 8 page 217 for the regiment de Béarn
2) Journal de Dangeau 18 October 1702 has sieur Jorau lieutenant-colonel of the regiment de Béarn distinguishing himself
3) Journal de Dangeau 13 November 1702 has the chevalier de Chamilly colonel of the regiment de Béarn dying of his wounds
4) Campagne de Monsieur le Maréchal de Marsin en Allemagne vol. 1 Amsterdam 1762, page 237 elsewhere in this book it's stated to have 2 battalions.
5) Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française volume III, page 380 for the former Leuville becoming the Béarn regiment.