The Antin regiment, 2 battalions
Origins of the regiment d'Antin
What is most important to know is that there were two Aunis regiments, of which this was the one later named so. In 1615 N. Marion Baron de Castelbayard assembled a regiment1. It was then dismissed and re-established in 1617. On 7 July 1621 a royal decree finally made the Baron de Castelbayard the official colonel of the regiment. In 1621 it took part in the Siege of La Rochelle and in 1622 in the siege of Royan. The fact that La Rochelle was the capital of the Aunis province was no doubt the reason that the regiment was named for the Aunis province in 1762. In 1635 the regiment had been designated to become a provincial regiment named for the Angoumois province, but its maitre de camp succeeded in revoking this. In May 1636 the regiment also got the drapeau blanc, and this was retained.
The regiment Crussol in the Franco-Dutch War
On 10 October 1665 Emmanuel d'Uzès comte de Crussol had become colonel of the regiment and it was under his name that the regiment participated in the war against the United Provinces. The Crussol regiment started with the sieges of Wesel and Emmerich, the passage of the Rhine and the Siege of Doesburg. At the end of 1672 it wintered in Germany under Turenne. It then fought in Germany and wintered in Burgundy. In early 1674 it fought at the Sieges of Besançon and Dole, where it suffered heavy losses. It then continued that year in the Rousillion army. where it fought at Morillas. In January 1675 the Crussol regiment was shipped from Toulon to Messina in order to aid the Sicilian revolt. It arrived in February 1675 and in September it went to Agosta, which it successfully defended in March 1676. In October and November 1676 the Crussol participated in the Siege of Taormina. In April 1678 the Crussol returned to France. In 1687 the Comte the Crussol transferred the regiment to his son Louis d'Uzès, the first Duc d'Uzès. The name of the regiment however seemed to have stayed Crussol.
The Crussol regiment in the Nine Years War
In the Nine Years War the Crussol regiment started in the Moselle army. At the end of the first campaign it was in Mainz and next year it participated in the effective, but failed defence of that place. In 1692 the regiment was in the Siege of Namur and the Battle of Steenkerque. In 1693 the Crussol regiment was in the Battle of Neerwinden and lost its colonel. He was replaced by his brother Jean Charles d'Uzès Marquis d'Acier, who became the next Duc d'Uzès. Later that year it was in the Siege of Charleroi, which was the last notable action of the Crussol regiment in the Nine Years War.
The regiment d'Antin in the War of the Spanish Succession
At the start of the War of the Spanish Succession the Crussol regiment the Crussol regiment participated in the occupation of the Spanish Netherlands for Felipe V. In 1702 it started on the Upper Rhine in Catinat's army. In September 1702 it was in Villars' detachment that left Strasbourg and in October it fought in the Battle of Friedlingen. On 3 December 1702 the regiment became the property of Maréchal de Camp Antoine Louis de Pardaillan de Gondrin marquis D'Antin, the only son of the Marquis de Montespan. It was thus that the regiment returned to Flanders as the Antin regiment. On 19 December 1703 the then Lieutenant-General Marquis d'Antin transferred his regiment to his sons Louis de Pardaillan marquis de Gondrin, and was thus named De Gondrin.
In 1704 an Aunis regiment marched into Germany, and fought at Blenheim. Contemporary sources state that two battalions of the Aunis regiment were taken prisoner at Blenheim2. The explanation for this is that at the time there was a regiment that was called Aunis, but that it was a regiment created in 1684 and dismissed in 17483.
On 15 May 1706 the Gondrin regiment appeared in the order of battle for the Battle of Ramillies4. It then retreated to Menin and was besieged there till 22 August 17065. In 1707 the Gondrin regiment also served in Flanders6. On 11 July 1708 the regiment then fought at Oudenaarde7. Later that year it sat out the siege of Lille in camp at Potte. In 1709 the Gondrin regiment fought at Malplaquet. The Gondrin regiment then continued in Flanders and in 1712 it was in the sieges of Douai, Quesnoy and Bouchain.
Early in 1712 the Marquis de Gondrin died and the regiment reverted to his father on 13 February 1712. On 26 July 1712 Auguste Nicolas Magon de la Gervasais became colonel of the regiment on the condition that it would revert to the Gondrin family once it had a suitable candidate (and later it would). In 1713 the Gondrin was in the army of the Rhine and the siege of Landau and Freiburg. After the peace of Rastadt the regiments of Tavannes, Castelet and Dampierre were merged into the regiment.
Flag of the regiment d'Antin
The flag of the Antin had two green and two Aurore quarters8.
|1) Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française volume IV, page 294 for most of this article about the regiment that would later become the Aunis regiment.|
|2) E.g. the Europische Mercurius under August 1704 page 137 stated that two battalions of the Aunis regiment had been taken prisoner.|
|3) Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française volume IV, page 324 for a note about the previous Aunis regiment.|
|4) Pelet tome 6 page 486, Ordre de Bataille de l'Armée de Flandre; 15 Mai 1706.|
|5) Pelet tome 6 page 513, Etat de la garnison de Menin 20 Juillet 1706.|
|6) Pelet tome 7 page 298, Projet de l'ordre de bataille de l'infanterie et de la cavalerie, le 10 Mai 1707.|
|7) Pelet tome 8 page 385, Etat des battalions qui ont combattu le 11 Juillet 1708.|
|8) Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française volume IV, page 324 for the flag of the d'Antin regiment.|